Monday 13 July 2015

The Best Scones


After my last post several people asked for the recipe for my scones, I'm pleased to share them with you here. This recipe originates in a tiny Devonshire tearoom, and came to me via the mother of a school friend. They are by far the best scones I have ever made, but the declaration that they are the best is some what subjective ;) I have converted the measurements into grams as well just in case.


You will need:

1lb (500g) Self Raising Flour
4oz (120g) Margarine
2oz (60g) Caster Sugar
½ pint Milk
1tsp Baking Powder
Flavouring if required: this recipe works well with sultanas or cherries or cheese in my experience, I usually add the amount by sight J
A greased Baking Tray or 2, depending on how big you make your scones.
A very good blend of tea and teapot at the ready.


1.       Heat oven to 200 degrees/180 fan assisted

2.       Rub the fat into the flour using your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs

3.       Stir in the sugar gradually, and add the flavour if using

4.       Mix in the milk gradually until the mixture holds together – it shouldn’t be too wet

5.       For a very handmade look break off sections of the dough and roll into balls, place on baking tray and flatten slightly. For a more polished look roll out the mixture gently (about 6/7cm thick) and use a glass to cut out

6.       Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes


7.       When they are done allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, put the kettle on in anticipation 


      For a very authentic afternoon tea serve with jam and clotted cream :) I normally just have jam unless it's a super special occasion...





11 comments:

  1. oooooo yummy thanks for sharing :)
    I like your spotty crockery!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I shall have to give this a go :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your scone recipe. It does look easy to make-- there's no kneading involved which I'm really glad because I'm not good at it. Thanks! I'll be trying this very soon! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummilicious!! thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those scones look yummy, I love your crockery too. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your scones look mouthwatering, thank you for sharing the recipe,
    I must give these a go.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, thanks a lot for sharing, I can't wait to try this one! Well, maybe when it gets a bit colder... anyway, I'll let you know how yummy I find these scones! : ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen,

    Thanks for sharing, looks delicious!
    Hope you are enjoying the summer,
    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, these look great!!! I wish I could just take one them. :)

    Take care
    Anne (Crochet Between Worlds)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)