Thursday 16 July 2015

Summer Days and a Trip to Stratford


We've certainly been enjoying the warmer weather. The back door is open most of the time and we generally have two lazy cats lounging around in the garden. I'd like to be a cat.


We have even been eating breakfast in the garden, including a yummy breakfast of waffles and raspberries cooked by hubby on Saturday.


I'm crocheting away trying to get some face cloths done for my friend who is getting married next Saturday. This is number two of hopefully four. I'm using Rico Creative Cotton for the first time, not the softest but I bet it lasts for ages.

On Sunday we had a lovely day out in Stratford upon Avon with my MIL. I'd never been before and thought it was a really pretty town. Lots of Tudor buildings, including of course Shakespeare's birthplace - top left below.


And lots of corresponding tourists! We didn't go into any of the main historical houses, they seemed astronomically expensive to us and full of crowds. We were in more of a meandering mood. We enjoyed various statues of Shakespeare characters we encountered...


The weather was quite cloudy and as soon as we sat down for a picnic the heavens opened! We couldn't have timed it better... We were very British and continued with said picnic for a few minutes but as the rain got heavier and the sandwiches got soggier we retreated to the nearest tree for shelter.
After the downpour we decided to head off on a gentle cruise of the River Avon. It was so relaxing hubbie fell asleep (!)


After that we had afternoon tea by the river and meandered home. All in all a lovely relaxing day :) I get my final thesis feedback tomorrow, finally, so the next weeks will be nose to the grindstone in order to meet my submission deadline of 4th September. Motivation needs to be found and quickly!


11 comments:

  1. What a lovely day and excursion!

    It's amazing you found time to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, your trip looks amazing. So fun to meander around such an amazing place filled with so much history.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trip looks great! I wish I could see this town one day!

    And yum for the waffles - aren't waffles the best? I think I need to make some this weekend...

    Take care
    Anne
    Crochet Between Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun time !!! Your cotton yarn is beautiful ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very good day - and look at that cutie rolling in the grass! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stratford is a lovely place to visit isn't it! Glad you had a great time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trip, your photos are fab. The cotton you are using looks a lovely colour, hope your feedback went well and you still have a little time for crochet too. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place! The face cloth you are crocheting looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the photo of your cat! We haven't been to Stratford for years - it'd be nice to visit again. I remember going on that river cruise and enjoying the lovely watery scenery. I like using Rico Creative Cotton because I love the colours, but I do find it a bit splitty. I think your friend will love her beautiful face cloth set. Good luck with the thesis :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I visited Stratford upon Avon about 14 years ago. It's a pretty town but as you've said, full of tourists. We also went on a little cruise down the River Avon. That was what I enjoyed and remembered best of all. Glad you had a good time there with your family. And it's lovely to hear that you enjoyed the nice weather last week. Good luck with the thesis.- nearly there! X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)