Sunday 1 February 2015

A serial unfinisher

Now I really think that to unfinish should be a word, fail to finish, inability to finish, they're just too lengthy. Unfinished is an actual word, so surely the transformation from adjective to verb must be a legitimate one :) I am a serial unfinisher - I procrastinate in every possible way imaginable as soon as I have something to do. I will stop drying up half way through to take out the rubbish, in the middle of hanging up the washing I'll decide I really need to feed the cats, and so on and so forth. It's really rather a problem sometimes! As soon as I have a deadline of course whatever it is will be done, but without limitation or boundary I procrastinate the day away.

And now I move on to my point.... My crafting habits of late have taken on the characteristics of an unfinisher. I love the fact that I can refer to my unfinished craft projects as 'works in progress' :) I have 3 long-term projects on the go, one of which I really wanted to try and finish before too long but I've realised the finish line is a bit further than I thought. I'm talking about my blanket for Bonnie, our campervan. It's been seeming so big and nearly complete as I sit on the sofa at night, but I took it upstairs to try it on the bed and it looked so.... small!




I don't necessarily want it to be as big as a double bed, but at least wide enough to drape over the bottom during the winter. I've decided I'm just going to use up all of the wool that I have left and see how big it gets, fingers crossed it will be fairly sizeable. But my decision means that it will be a WIP for a wee while longer unfortunately!

My favourite WIP, and one that there is no pressure to finish (maybe making it my favourite...) is my hexagonalong, here are the 31 hexies for January!



And finally for today here's a little card I made for my wonderful Dad, who's a little under the weather at the moment with a chest infection. I hope the cheeky dolphin makes him smile :)


Thank you for the such lovely wishes regarding my unfinished thesis, I really really appreciate all the lovely comments. Having moaned that my life was full of thesis it is now on the back burner again as I've just been offered some temping at the University of Leicester again until next Tuesday. I'm working on the thesis in the evenings and weekends but a little anxious about having so much time away from it. Nevertheless it's a nice change and I enjoy the routine.

Have a lovely week where ever you are

Until next time.....

25 comments:

  1. I think being an unfinisher goes hand in hand with being creative :) Your cross stitch is soooooo neat! Love the dolphin, so cute :) Hope your Dad gets better soon.
    I meant to join in with the heirs, they are really sweet. What are they going to become ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh there's still time to join :) I'm not sure how big 365 hexies will be, I'm sort of thinking a smallish blanket just to drape over the back of our sofa, but if it's big enough, or if I want to continue with it maybe a cover for the spare room bed :) Thanks for the well wishes :)

      Delete
  2. I like the word unfinisher, and it fits me quite well too! On the other hand, like Jill already said, being an unfinisher is strictly connected with being creative: we have so much great idea popping up at the same time and not enough hands nor time to work at all of them at once - at least, that's what I like to think in a maybe self-indulgent spirit... ; )
    The blanket looks great, hope the remaining wool will be enough to make it the wanted size; if not, you can always buy some more and add an edge in a different colour...
    Best wishes to your Dad, hope he'll manage to get better soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could spend all day crafting :) I bet we'd still be unfinishers though ;) Thanks for a tip that's a great idea with the edging, I'm going to see what other colours I can get in the wool make :) xx

      Delete
  3. I think Serial Unfinishism (now THAT should be a word; it sounds like a very serious condition!) is definitely the plight of the crafty person. Our minds are always buzzing! The blanket is coming along a treat though - a few more squares and a border and job's a good'un! I love the card you have stitched for your Dad, that's very thoughtful. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha now that's a better word!!I definitely have that condition :) I cant wait for the border part! xx

      Delete
    2. I came to the web this morning looking for a label for my character defect that is most apparent in my inability to finish any project --- I am the Queen of UFOs (un-finished objects). It's a personality trait that has negatively affected every area of my life and I somehow thought having a word/label for it makes it more likely that I'll continue to meditate on ways to change it. Unfinishism -- the trait of starting projects or tasks that remain incomplete. I need to submit that one to dictionary.com.

      Delete
  4. Hi Helen!

    I know what you mean about getting sidetracked which results in Unfinishism!!!

    I noticed that I got a number of projects that are about 80% finished and then I start something else. I think it is something to do with being drawn in so many directions and unable to focus on just ONE thing! I immediately become bored! My harlequin blanket is a prime example, so I know how you must feel.

    The only way to combat this is to set yourself a goal. You could do it like the hexagons, crochet one square each day, that way it does not feel too overwhelming. You could also try and work out how many squares you might still need by measuring one square and also your blanket so far. Then you get a good idea how many more you have to do.

    I love your little hexagons and the card for your dad looks great! Hope he gets better soon!!!!

    Good luck with your thesis and work!!

    Ingridxx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ingrid you're absolutely right, goals are the way forward :) for now I'm doing 2 squares a day and joining a row when i have 14, a bit of a mix of tasks to prevent complete boredom ;) Good luck with the harlequin blanket it's so pretty :) xx

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of being a serial unfinisher!! That is so funny. Your blanket is lovely, and I know what you mean about them being smaller than you imagine. How is that something that seems massive on your lap when you are working on it turns into a postage stamp when laid on the bed! What happens!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they shrink on the way up the stairs!!! It's most disappointing, but glad I'm not the only one ;) xx

      Delete
  6. I am most definitely a serial procrastinator but I do tend to finish stuff because it all goes round in circles somehow. Not very effienct but there you go, I have a short attention span. I like your blanket very much, it is perfect lap blanket size just now. I hope your dad feels better soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I definitely have a short attention span, I always try and make it last longer but it just doesn't, I phase out so easily :s x

      Delete
  7. Sorry your Dad is not feeling well. Love your crochet, I have a lot on the back burner myself. I need to get busy.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith :) Hope you're ploughing through yours as well :) x

      Delete
  8. Good luck for your work on thesis and I hope your dad will fell better soon ! your makings are great, be patient it'll turn out nice and you'll be very satisfied !! have a lovely day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geraldine! Patient is not my strong point but I'm working on it :) have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  9. I know how you feel! There was a time when I too had several unfinished project. But now I promised myself to finish one before starting the other. Let's see how long that will work! ;)
    But I really love your Bonnie blanket, it has such nice colors! :)
    Greetings from Austria
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a very admirable promise! I'm going to make it too :) thanks emma, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. There is nothing wrong with unfinished projects. I am a finisher and always have been - I would rather unravel a project that abandon it - but I while back I realised I was rushing through things just to get them done and it's the process which is the enjoyable part. So relax and enjoy the unfinshed WIPs, I would! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like excellent advice, I always admire your beautiful projects! I think I'm going to try and work like that, and like you say just enjoy it! :) x

      Delete
  11. Haha, I think you just described me perfectly - the flitting from one job to another without finishing - although I eventually get back round to the beginning and get it done. Usually. I love the cute little card for your Dad and I hope he loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, you're right it does always end up going round in circles and getting finished eventually! Have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  12. Ohh! I know how you feel! We should open a club of the unfinishers! I have 5 different projects on my hook right now and I really, really need to finish one soooonnn!

    Fingers crossed for your uni work and thesis!

    Take care
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I love the idea of a club! could we have badges?! Good luck with finishing one of your projects :) take care

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)