Thursday 26 February 2015

Memories


Grandparents are the bastions of childhood. To them you are ever young, ever the snotty child with food on your face, ever in need of spoiling, although the means of achieving that may alter over time. They always have time, time that they probably didn't have when your parents were young, time to talk, time to play, time to enjoy childhood that precious second time around.

My Nana passed away on Saturday, peacefully and with her two daughters by her side. She was much loved and will be much missed, and we all have happy memories of time spent with her. For that we are lucky and grateful, She was a wonderful grandmother, she loved children and was always willing to play tiddly winks, read the same stories over and over, and bake cherry buns. She made the best stew - my brother had my poor mum trying to emulate it for years! (I think she got there with it) As I grew older we developed our own relationship, I always asked her about her life during the war and as a young woman, about her own family, her own parents and grandparents. We looked at the old family photos together and she'd share anecdotes - I wish I could remember more of them now. We'd have a naughty glass of sherry and I'd crochet while we sat together and chatted. She had a great sense of humour, a dry wit and always a twinkle in her eye when she was teased. She lived in her own home until October, which she had shared with my Grandpa, and was always determined to do so. She wanted to live, and live she did. She was still going on outings with various clubs, went on holiday in September, and played cards regularly. I hope I have inherited her determination and zest for life.

I'm grateful to have known my Nana, to have had that special time. I've visited her on my own since I was a little girl and always enjoyed our time together. She was ill and suffering, and now she is at rest, reunited with Grandpa and probably still watching and sighing with exasperation when I don't put butter on my potatoes ("how can you eat them like that, they're so dry!") We will carry on, just as she would have wanted, and we will remember her always.

22 comments:

  1. Helen, I'm so sorry to read this. As you know I've been dealing with this loss recently, and words fail me... you paid your Nana such a beautiful tribute, I really felt the love reading this. I send you a hug, hope it helps just a tiny bit... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valentina for your lovely words, I hope you are ok and managing - it's a difficult time. Thanks for the hug :) xx

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss Helen. I know this has been a difficult time for you. Your Nana sounds like a wonderful woman and she will go on, in you and the rest of your family and you will keep your memories of her no matter what. Sending hugs and love to you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy for being so sweet and your support and kind words :) xxx

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful tribute to your wonderful Nana. I feel as if I knew her. I am glad you have so many wonderful memories of an obviously amazing woman. I am sorry for your loss Helen. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina for your lovely words, much appreciated :) x

      Delete
  4. Oh sweetie I'm sorry for you loss, such a sad time for you. Your nan sounded like such a lovely woman. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, Helen I'm so sorry! My grandma passed away a few weeks ago so I know the feeling! Just feel happy that she is with your grandpa again, that's what comforted me when my Oma died! I send you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma, so sorry to hear about your loss as well, there seem to be many at the moment hope you're doing ok hugs back :)

      Delete
  6. Helen, I'm so sorry to hear of your Nana's passing and the loss you feel now. When my Nan passed away my greatest comfort was to know what she was finally reunited with my Grandad. Your post has brought back so many happy memories of my Nan and I am sure you treasure yours. What a beautiful tribute to her you have written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen thanks for your kind words, it is very comforting to think of them reunited again after these years

      Delete
  7. Oh Helen, sorry for you at the difficult time, but the memories will live on though you and it sounds like you have many!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle you're right, thanks for popping in :) xx

      Delete
  8. I am very sorry to read about your grandma's passing. She sounds like a wonderful lady!
    love Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, she was :) Hope you're well xx

      Delete
  9. Oh now Helen I just popped over to say thank you for leaving a comment and have been completely moved by this lovely post. What a wonderful relationship you and your Grandma enjoyed - and what a lovely tribute to such a characterful lady. Sending you the warmest wishes x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh now Helen I just popped over to say thank you for leaving a comment and have been completely moved by this lovely post. What a wonderful relationship you and your Grandma enjoyed - and what a lovely tribute to such a characterful lady. Sending you the warmest wishes x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Helen I think I've just deleted my previous comment but I just wanted to say what a wonderful tribute and send you my warmest wishes x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane thank you so much for popping in, and for your kind words :) x

      Delete
  12. Oh Helen I've only just seen this. So sorry for your loss. Youve written a beautiful tribute to your nana, and if she could only see it she'd be so proud of you and so touched at the difference she made to your life just by beung your nana. All the very best for the days and weeks ahead xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry for your loss Helen, and such lovely memories of your Nana. Thinking of you,
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)