Friday 13 February 2015

Five On Friday


From the midst of a dreary February day in England I thought I'd share 5 of my favourite cities I've visited for this week's 'Five on Friday'. Travelling is one of my favourite things, but it's a love I'm not currently able to indulge with Thesisville. So sat at my desk, dreaming of places afar old and new, I thought I'd indulge myself and share some quick snapshots of places I love with you today. 

1. Berlin

Yes - I'm highly predictable! Many apologies to all of you who have read numerous witterings on Berlin in my little internet space. Berlin is the city I feel most at home in. I think a bit of my heart permanently resides there. It's relaxed, exciting, old, new and million other juxtapositions all in one




2. Budapest

For some reason my PhD has taken me to this magnificent city a few times now, a summer school in July 2012 for 2 weeks when it was 40 degrees and over, and then a conference in Winter 2012 when it was -10 degrees. Both times it was beautiful, again like Berlin it's packed full of history and yet going under development, the architecture is stunning and it's just a wonderful place to be. It's getting a bit touristy I think, I noticed the difference between January 2008 when I first visited, but I'd still highly recommend a visit.



3. Dresden

Dresden is getting quite a bad reputation at the moment with all of the anti-immigration marches and Pegida and all the rest, and this Saxon city certainly has its issues. It was my closest city on my year abroad and I fell in love with it. There's a nice relaxed student culture and the history is fascinating, I very much condemn the bombings that killed so many people and destroyed the original city (they were still finding cellars full of bodies when I was there that had been buried for 60 years), but the old town of Dresden today feels largely peaceful (well it did in 2011 when I was last there). It's a lovely city in the summer to just meander, eat ice cream and cake and drink beer. There's some amazing surrounding countryside to explore as well.


4. Edinburgh

I've only ever been to Edinburgh during the Fringe so it was full of life, loud and exciting. I imagine it's equally beautiful when the Fringe isn't on - I want to go back and see. The city's great, lots going on, lovely buildings and last time I went I nearly made it to the top of Arthur's Seat before my fear of heights overcame me (it was extremely windy in my defence). C and I both agree that we could see ourselves living here, who knows, maybe life might take us that way.



5. Melbourne

I loved all three of the Australian cities we were lucky enough to visit last Christmas: Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide, but I particularly enjoyed Melbourne.We had a wonderful few days in the city centre, exploring the smaller winding streets with their little shops, as well as taking a boat trip and going out to the Mornington Peninsula for some wine tasting. We were lucky enough to go to Philip Island where we saw the penguins as well as visited a koala sanctuary. The wonderful Australian wildlife was definitely a highlight :)







I am joining in Five on Friday, taking five minutes from our day to enjoy five things.  Please go and visit the other people who are also blogging about Five on Friday this week.


Helen from Woollybluebells
Gina from Fan My Flame
Joanne from A Whole Plot of Love 
Debbie from Saylor Street Cottage 

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your five favourite cities. The only one I've visited is Edinburgh and that was in a misty early December but it was still very beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I can imagine it was! I really want to go back when the fringe isn't on :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this post...Australia looks especially inviting! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two all time favourite cities are Melbourne and Berlin! I haven't been to Budapest or Dresden (yet). I am not sure I would want to live in Edinburgh (well, I would say that, I live in Glasgow!) but I do like visiting. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent choice of favourite cities!!! I'd highly recommend Budapest, Dresden's a bit harder to access although from Berlin it's quite easy :) I've only been to Glasgow very briefly but I really want to go back, I love Scotland :)

      Delete
  4. Such fantastic places you have visited.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have travelled to some great and interesting places! A great choice for your five things this week! Thank you for joining in! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! looking forward to the new format :) xx

      Delete
  6. I have loved my tour around the world and a scoot around your blog. I will be tuning in to see the blanket finished. I just finished my first scrappy double bed quilt. Go and see...Jo x
    http://joeveryday19@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo thanks for popping in :) I'm glad you enjoyed your scoot :) I love the quilt, if I ever get good enough with a sewing machine that's exactly what I want to make! x

      Delete
  7. You have visited some lovely places, my son is visiting Berlin in March with uni & is really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh I'm very jealous :) hope he has a great time!

      Delete
  8. Some lovely places indeed! I adored Edinburgh when I traveled there some years ago - wouldn't mind going back!

    I like Melbourne... but my heart belongs to Sydney!

    Take care
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I loved Sydney too, it was a close call ;) Maybe I should go back to check :)

      Delete
  9. Aaaah that was just like a little whirlwind holiday, Thankyou for sharing your photos Helen :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful places have you visited. i love berlin,too. thanks for sharing!!!!
    have a nice restweek,
    love and hugs regina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)