Thursday 15 October 2015

All Change




I've never been particularly good with change, I guess I'm a creature of comfort and habit. I like routine and stability for the most part, although I'm not completely adverse to the occasional adventure! Now is a time of change, and while I'm very excited about it, I'm also unsettled and clinging onto well-known and established parts of my life.

I have been exceedingly lucky and have managed to get a job - what a shock to the system that will be! It's a maternity cover role, so again a temporary solution, but I think it will give me some really good experience and also the opportunity to decide whether this is the area I want to work in. I really like the look of the job, and I had a good feeling at the interview so I am optimistic and looking forward to getting into it. Said job is however quite a commute - 2 hours on the train or an hour and 10 minute drive. Not being the most confident driver I'm a little anxious about doing so much travelling, but I'm sure I'll get used to it!

The job is in the area we want to move to, the East Midlands, so we will be putting our lovely little house on the market and attempting to move house! We've been here four years now and have outgrown the house a little - with both of us working at home and having quite a lot of hobbies we have filled all available space. And some. It's exciting, but also a little sad. We live in a beautiful town and I will miss it. But, we will be moving closer to both of our places of work, and many friends, which will be really lovely.

So I'm trying to swallow the unsettled feeling and embrace the excitement of change, the optimism we both feel for the next step in this funny old journey together. And with my last week of not working I am picking up old crafting projects, getting sidetracked with amigurumi pears, and panicking slightly that my oral exam for the PhD has finally been arranged and it's only two weeks away! Everything happens at once I suppose.

I hope you are all having a good week, and enjoying the change of season. I miss the long days, but I love winter/autumn clothes, always have always will - I love changing my wardrobe around in the autumn :) 

22 comments:

  1. hello helen...i and my family are also uncomfortable with change...however it is always with us...your commute will be quite time-consuming until your residence move...i wish you the best with the new job and the household move...take care...sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally :) It is definitely part of life, and I'm trying to embrace the positivity of this particular change :) Hope all's well with you xx

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about change, but someone once told me that with ends always come beginnings and that embracing change is good for us. I hope that all goes smoothly with selling your home and that you enjoy your new job. Crocheted pears are an excellent idea, and the one you've made is very sweet. I'm liking the change back to autumn clothes too.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about change, but someone once told me that with ends always come beginnings and that embracing change is good for us. I hope that all goes smoothly with selling your home and that you enjoy your new job. Crocheted pears are an excellent idea, and the one you've made is very sweet. I'm liking the change back to autumn clothes too.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way of looking at it - I love beginnings :) Thanks for the well wishes :) xx

      Delete
  4. I'm not the biggest fan of changes either, but sometimes changes are a really good thing! Congratulations on your job and welcome to the world of commuting! ;) Gives you plenty of time to read and crochet - if you're taking the train of course! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Hehe the train is certainly tempting from the reading time it will add to my life - I will have to adapt to very early morning starts though ;)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your new job!!!! I hope that you will love it and that you will enjoy whatever life in a new home will bring your way! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new job, I hope all your plans go well. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are huge changes, a new job and relocating. Pretty overwhelming but, I admire your resolution to work that far and to decide to leave your house. Big adventure. :)
    Congrats on the job and stay strong with the commute (woah two hours!).

    ps. that pear is SO cute! (Do you sell those?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks! yes it is rather long :S but reading time aplenty ahead! I haven't tried selling crocheted goods yet, but it's something I've been thinking of! I will keep you posted :)

      Delete
  8. I don't like change much either, but sometimes it's necessary to make better, lovelier things to happen. Just don't forget to take a break and remind yourself it will all work out okey. It will, and you'll do well at your new job. Congratulations and good luck! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a fan of change myself, I find it very hard to embrace, but it is also very exciting. You are ready to try a new job and move closer to work which will free up so much for your time. It is an exciting time for you!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your new job, you have lots of big changes planned, no wonder you are feeling unsettled x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! Another big change. You can handle it!! Think of all the new people you'll meet, think of all that reading time on your commute.! Sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bronwyn you're very very right! Lookign forward to the new people and new role for sure!!

      Delete
  12. I missed this post! Well, I've been undergoing changes too this year, and I understand how you feel... you have to get accustomed to something new, and that takes some time, but I think you'll come to enjoy your new beginning... : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)