Friday 27 June 2014

This Week...

This week has been a bit sluggish....




I was staying with friends Tues - Thurs as I needed to be up at uni for various things. These hydrangeas were from my friends' garden, aren't they lovely? Hydrangeas are my favourite flower at the moment and I am battling C very hard not to keep cutting my pink one in the garden back so much!

It was lovely to see everyone but I do love coming home again. I'm a bit of a home bunny. I'm also a bit less productive in my office, as I don't see everyone that often and of course gossip and catching up is essential :)

Today I am sat at my kitchen table powering my way through the last East German war novel I need to read for my final chapter. It's not the happiest subject, and whilst most of the time I find it fascinating some times it's a bit heavy. The thunder and lightening and heavy rain aren't lightening my mood either!!

I'm looking at this plant, I 'rescued' it from the bargain bin at a garden centre last weekend. It's still looking a bit limp but definitely a bit better than when it first came home...


I am going to Berlin for three weeks a week on Monday, for a research trip, so starting to prepare myself for that. I've been very lucky and been able to spend quite a lot of time there over my PhD, this is sadly my last trip so I need to be on the ball, and make sure I get all I need. C is coming to visit me in the middle weekend hopefully, but it is a long time to be apart (although definitely better than the 6 week stint I did last year!!)

Crafting has been on the back burner sadly, although in a stint of train crochet I made 4 coasters for the friends we are visiting this week as a (very belated!) housewarming gift. I think my tension must be up the spout as they are different sizes!!


The one bottom right is quite substantially bigger though, so I figure if I just replace that with a hasty crochet later it will be fine ;)

I am powering on with the cross stitch still, oh so slow progress wise. I have set myself the very ambitious finish date of next Friday, watch this space!!!


I hope that you all have a lovely, relaxing weekend :)

12 comments:

  1. I hope that your time in Berlin goes well and that you do indeed get to do all you need to complete your PhD, it will be well worth all the hard work in the end! It should be a very interesting time to be there I imagine. I think that your coasters are just a graduated set being different sizes!! That is what I would say anyway! Have a good time on your trip! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy :) Hehe yes that's kind of what I went with in the end ;) They went down very well so that's the most important thing! xx

      Delete
  2. I love those coasters and blue is my fave colour as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful coasters!! Your friend will love it..... Have a fun trip to Berlin, how sweet of C to be visiting you....
    And oh, the flowers are simply gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, they were well received :) Hehe I do love hydrangeas :)

      Delete
  4. The larger coaster will be great for a mug :-) They are such a lovely shade of blue. Best wishes for your trip to Berlin...I hope you acquire all you need to. Beautiful hydrangeas...Oh I do so love hydrangeas :-)
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey me too :) My pink Hydrangeas are starting to flower now in the garden which is making me very happy, and our friends gave us another one that they had dug up from their garden... operation cover the garden with hydrangeas is underway :D xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi Helen, you have a lot on your mind and you're achieving so much, sometimes I wonder how you fit it all in. Hydrangeas are especially gorgeous at this time of year and your rescue plant is pretty enough to lighten anyone's mood :-) The coasters are pretty and lovingly made, maybe you just picked up a different sized hook by mistake on the bigger one.

    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda :) I think I must have used a 4.5 instead of a 4 or something... scatter brained me! Hope all's well :) xx

      Delete
  6. The hydrangeas are so lovely! beautiful coasters too.. good luck with your trip to Berlin :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)