Saturday 14 June 2014

Catching up again

After the last week we are now fully back into the realm of reality and day to day life. It's been lovely coming back and enjoying our nice decluttered home, full of new things. I'm back into the swing of PhD life, reading away and I've even managed to start writing again which is nice. All in all a nice week getting back to normal and catching up. Catching up with friends, family, work, all the usual :) I changed my name after the wedding (although keeping the maiden one professionally) so am getting used to that, it's really rather odd!

Normally we are quite green fingered but what with one thing and another this year we have had to let our garden do its own thing. Nevertheless we have still being enjoying some of the results (the weeds, thistles and bolting herbs are not on that list!).

We have some champion strawberry plants which seem to just grow no matter what, so we have been gobbling up some lovely homegrown strawberries. I haven't quite managed to make meringue yet, but will have to before long - it's C's absolute favourite!




We also have two large Lavender bushes, which I love but C hates (a bit of an ongoing argument there). I've recycled some of the jars I made for the wedding (see here) and am using them to put some flowers from the garden in, I think they look quite pretty, and hope C will forgive me for the lavender smell ;)


Without having to make lots of decorations any more I am enjoying being able to crochet whatever I like. I am making progress with the granny blanket, which is now a quarter of the way there (excluding the edging)




I'm loving all the colour, and whilst some of them don't completely match I love the bright happy vibe. I'm also getting some ideas of colour combos for future projects :)

It is however time to step away from the granny (sigh). C is hankering for the camper blanket which I promised him, more on that next time, and I want to make some coasters for birthday and Fathers' Day gifts.

Have a lovely weekend! (I shall be watching footie and crocheting, come on England ;) although, I actually tend to support Germany which makes me terribly unpopular!)

15 comments:

  1. Hi Helen, thank you for your kind visit and the likely words you left me.

    Those are beautiful granny squares.... And I love what you did with your jars!

    I'm crocheting a poncho while I watch the world cup.... :) have a fun weekend... Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth :) Good luck with the poncho! xx

      Delete
  2. I hope that you enjoy your footie watching! I think that your lavender looks lovely in your wedding vases and how great that you are getting to use them again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, crochet is a good distraction when things aren't looking so good...! Hope you enjoyed your excursion to Gardeners World :) xx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Mrs Helen and now things are settling in for you, that's great. Your Lavender looks lovely, it has a very distinctive scent and I hope C forgives you for that lol. Your strawberries look divine, fresh picked and homegrown always taste better.
    Your crochet is coming along lovely, I have just finished a crochet project myself and you can check out my tah day moment on my latest blog post.
    Enjoy your crochet/footie weekend. I am on holiday in Crete to watch England play, because of the time difference it doesn't kick off until 01:00 , and I am watching in a bar next to the sea. Much supping will be done haha.
    I am also doing a crochet project during the daytime.
    Bye for now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha sounds like an excellent way to watch the game, hope you had a fab time! xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Helen, I love how you have decorated those jars. They are so pretty with the wee hearts and lavender. Fantastic granny squares too.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by Marianne, I'm enjoying the 'recycling'! Hope all's well xx

      Delete
  5. I love those jars, so sweet! And your granny squares are a gorgeous riot of colour! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissie thanks so much! and for dropping in, I love reading your blog :) xx

      Delete
  6. i'm drooling over your yummy strawberries :) the lavender flowers looks so gorgeous in your recycled jar.. love the little crocheted hearts in the jar. Beautiful granny squares! have a great day! hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anitha! The strawberries were yummy, I'm now waging a battle with the birds for the rest of them! Have a good week :)

      Delete
  7. I love your decorated jars full of lavender and brightly coloured crochet :-)
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey :) a bit of colour always cheers me up :) xxx

      Delete
  8. Love your crochet, so bright and cheerful :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)