Wednesday 11 March 2015

The Year in Books - March



Yikes, this is a rather late March post!

I've read two books in the last month, both historical fiction and I enjoyed them both. I've fallen into my usual rut of reading the same type of books - next month I'll revert back to the book challenge and expand my horizons.





The first book I read was 'The Miniaturist' by Jessie Burton. A lot of people have been reading this in blogland, so I had a rough idea what I was getting in to. It's a historical novel set in Amsterdam in the seventeenth century. The plot follows the experiences of eighteen year old Nella Oortman, a girl from a small country village who married a prosperous merchant and moves to the city. The historical detail is so rich, an awful lot of research must have gone into this book and it pays off. Burton has an entertaining and gripping style, I couldn't put the book down! All is not as it seems in Nella's marital home, under the thumb of her new sister-in-law she has to try and adapt to her new life, which is full of mysteries and the unexplained, her new husband is distant and marriage is entirely different to her expectations. I won't reveal much more, but I'd really recommend the book. The characters are very realistic, and I found Nella sympathetic - I rooted for her. The ending was a bit abrupt for my liking, but I loved learning more about the illustrious merchant traders from the C17th.



The other book I read was Philippa Gregory's 'The Constant Princess'. I love Philippa Gregory and knew I would enjoy this book. The novel portrays the early life of Katherine of Aragon, the first wife of the notorious Henry VIII, he famously created the Church of England in order to divorce her. Oh to be a king. Married to his elder brother, Arthur, Prince of Wales, who died before ascending to the throne, Katherine was older than Henry and there has been much debate over whether she was a virgin after her marriage to Arthur (she maintained she was, if she wasn't then her marriage to her brother-in-law would have been a sin in the eyes of the Catholic church - this is what Henry used as the basis for his claim to divorce). The book presents an interesting interpretation on this, I won't give anything away. Katherine was a strong woman, which Gregory clearly demonstrates - I learned a lot about her role as Queen and the power she exercised. I think historical fiction, although an interpretation of historical events, plays such an important role in restoring female figures to our consciousness - often overlooked within 'his'tory. I thought the book was a little too long, it could have been shorter, but overall it was engaging and interesting. I found the representation of diplomatic relations in Europe at this time fascinating. Again, I would recommend this book :)


For the next month I am going back to my book challenge I wrote about here. One of the categories is 'thriller' - not a genre I read often, but with perfect timing my mother in law kindly gave me this book at the weekend, she thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommended it, so I am looking forward to it. I will leave it at one book this month - the full draft to supervisors deadline is looming so it's going to get a bit stressful/manic/depressing around these parts ;)



Linking up with Laura at The Circle of Pines, pop on over there to see what everyone else is reading :)

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Apple Tree Yard... very tense and exciting! I loved the Miniaturist too although I didn't really see that the Miniaturist herself added anything to the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Apple Tree Yard some time ago and really enjoyed it. You are in for a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo Apple Tree Yard looks good, must add that to my list :) Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed The Miniaturist as I have that in my pile (heap) of book to read. I hope that you enjoy your book for March and that the submission of your thesis goes well too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Helen and thanks for popping over to my blog. I am doing the same reading challenge as you... there are a couple of categories I shan't bother with, like a book that scares you for one, but for the most part I am happily working my way through the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know how the thriller was. I'm always on the lookout for good thrillers, though I plan on buying fewer books in the future. I just cleaned out my bookcase and found a lot of books that sat there unread for years. So I have to read those first! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love historical fiction, and the book about Katherine of Aragon sounds really interesting, think I'll might give it a try! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'The Miniaturist' was a recommended read at last month's issue of The Simple Things. I've now put it down in my reading list. I think I'm going to like it too. Enjoy your book for this month. Do let us know if it's a good one. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard a lot recently about The Miniaturist but not read it myself. I have read the Philippa Gregory one and enjoyed it too. I don't read thrillers often either, hope you get on well with that one! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)