Sunday 4 January 2015

The Year In Books: January

In line with my new year resolutions I've decided to take part in 'the year in books' organised by Laura on her lovely blog 'circle of pine trees'. I've been reading posts from others participating for a while now, the aim is to read at least a book a month and then blog about it, joining up with the others: a super flexible book club :)

I'm quite a quick reader, but very lazy: I read lots of the same genres and authors so this year I've decided to step out of my comfort zone. I saw this reading challenge posted on 9gag and thought it might be a good prompt to widen my reading: some of the categories are a bit silly but it's all good fun! I think a lot of books fall into more than one category so I may cheat a little... Not every book I read will correspond with this but every now and again I want to use it to guide my choices!


So for January I am going to read 'A book your mum loves'. My Mum's absolute favourite book is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, I've read it once before but a long time ago, and am looking forward to re-reading.

I am also in the middle of reading 'Necessary Lies' by Diane Chamberlain, so will aim to finish that as well.

What are you reading? Have you got any recommendations for me? Check out what others are reading here.

Until next time,

Helen

15 comments:

  1. How great that you're joining in as well! I've seen that reading challenge but I always chose my books randomly and spontaniously and I know that I would never be able to finish it! ;-) But I'm looking forward to read about your reading adventur

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Jane Eyre many times,seen most of the film versions and been to Charlotte Bronte's home in Haworth twice. I think that probably means it is my favourite book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll join in with this too actually, I could do with a nudge to read all the books in my queu :) Thanks for the prompt :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am aiming to read more, but I need to read the massive heap and then move them on to new homes, so I won't be doing this list, but I think it is a great idea to inspire more reading. I hope that you enjoy it and I look forward to hearing what you think of the different books that you choose this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun list - perfect for those times when you don't know what to read next

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good idea! I don't think I would manage this list, I am determined to only read books I enjoy and some of the prompts are too far out of my comfort zone. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is a great idea. I am just going to keep alist of all the books I read or listen to this year, I think it will be fun to look back at what I get done.
    Hugs and good luck,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your personal challenge with reading this year Helen. I am a slow reader and I generally read a little each day but only for about 15-30 mins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea but I know I'll never get time. Maybe next year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a good idea! I looovvee reading but these days, I usually crochet instead. I wish I could crochet and read at the same time!

    Take care
    Anne (Crochet Between Worlds)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a fun list! Hope you enjoy Jane Eyre ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fun list to pick from!!!! (I'm going to copycat that one, OK?!) Thanks for hopping into my blog.....but----don't waste your time reading First Impressions. What started out as an interesting concept, quickly deteriorated and turned predictable, sappy, and simply poor.
    Haven't read Jane Eyre is YEARS!!!! Hope you enjoy it! I might have to revisit that one, too, someday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for popping by, Helen! I loved Jane Eyre, enjoyed it far more than I though I was going to. Good luck with the list, we won't tell anyone if you cheat a little! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Helen, what a fabulous idea - the checklist. I think I might join in too. I've already set myself the target of 52 book this year (including the audiobooks I listen to whilst knitting) but like you, I tend to stick to the same genres and/or authors. This would help me find new things to enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm taking a break from Laura's year in books this year, catching up on all the books I still have to read. I hadn't heard of the reading challenge, which looks worth having a go at, so thank you for that link.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)