Sunday 11 January 2015

New Year, New Projects

In the space of the last 5 days I've somehow managed to start 2 new crochet projects.... The not so sensible side of my brain overcame the logical side which was uttering completely sensical words such as "thesis" "camper blanket" "cleaning" "job hunting", all good reasons not to start new projects! But, hey ho here we are and I thought I'd introduce them here as they will probably be making a few appearances over the next year. 

1. I've decided to join in a 'baby hexagon a day' along that seems to be sweeping instagram. I saw this lovely post on thelittleroomofrachell, and was (excuse the pun) hooked. What a wonderful idea! I have so much wool, and I like the idea of doing a bit a day. I'm being really strict and not crocheting ahead of the day I'm on. So if I miss a few days it's fine to crochet them all in a bunch, but I'm not allowed to exceed the number of days there have been in the year. This is a last ditch attempt at self control.... watch this space! Here are my hexies so far.... (I've also started an active involvement in instagram, it's amazing! my account is 'woollybluebells', pop over and say hi :))


2. I've always wanted to crochet an item of clothing and set my eyes on this gilet pattern in the Granny Square Crochet book I've had for a while. I was going to wait until more thesis progress had been made, but I succumbed to the idea that I will not want to wear it in Summer so had better get a move on! So far it's a disaster, I didn't do a tension swatch and my squares are too small, I don't have enough yarn to risk frogging it, and at this rate it may well fit a child by the time I'm done. I'm going to have a play at adding squares, but should the attempt fail miserably I will have to search for a recipient!! Valuable lessons have been learned ;)



So what new projects (crafty or otherwise) do you have for the coming year?

Until next time,

Helen

23 comments:

  1. Wow, that gilet looks amazing, might make something like that for myself!
    I'm busy with way too projects too, a knitted gilet (yes, I like those), something for a newborn baby, but still don't know what, and lots of wool that still needs to know what to become... ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe you should! it's really simple and very therapeutic :) looking forward to seeing your knitted gilet! good luck with finding projects for the wool ;)

      Delete
  2. Just tried to find you on instagram but somehow it didn't work. Maybe you're able to find me? I'm woolly_bookworm I'd love to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just took out an afghan I started last Spring. I swear I'm not starting anything else until this done, although the little lap loom I received for Christmas is calling my name. We'll see how that works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I know that feeling :) good luck resisting the loom ;)

      Delete
  4. Hi Helen! Lovely to see your crochet projects, both look lovely!
    What is the book called from which you are making the gilet?
    It looks great!
    I also tried to find you on instagram, but no joy!! Will you leave me a comment on my blog with a direct link please? (thanks!)
    hope you had a nice weekend!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ingrid, nice to know you on Instagram :) The book is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Granny-Square-Crochet-contemporary-traditional-techniques/dp/1908170883, it's got some other nice projects in it too :) xx

      Delete
  5. Good Sunday to work in the home and mental rest! See you soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It's my perfect sunday :)

      Delete
  6. Well, you will have seen my great long list!! You will figure it all out and crafting is good for relaxation and your soul! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your long list! very very true words :) xx

      Delete
  7. Loving the baby hexagons, I must pay more attention to IG world.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really how could you not start them? They are great projects.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a nice idea to do just one a day, I have a long term blanket project started too, I hope to finish it time to use in the garden this Summer. Hopefully your granny square project can be remedied easily with a crochet border at the front and you could also slip a border in at the sides too perhaps.
    I also have a baby sweater in progress, I am doing a personal challenge of stranded colourwork and also it will need to be steeked later on, both of which are first times for me.
    I am not on instagram though I do know a lot of the places I visit are. I am not sure I could cope with another social platform as I am also active on G+ and on YouTube lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many platforms now, I'm trying to be good and stick to the blog and IG for now :S Looking forward to seeing the baby sweater!! x

      Delete
  10. Argh now I am going to have to do a mini hexie a day too, it looks so great :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of a project with a set amount to be done every day. I think it will grow quite steadily and surprisingly quickly. Exactly the sort of thing I need to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to apply the principle to life in general... I'm a notorious 'non-finisher' of things :s

      Delete
  12. So glad you are doing the babyhex blanket. It will be fun keeping up with each other's progress. I found you on IG and started following you. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours are gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing them grow :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)