Sunday 17 August 2014

Yet Another Cowl, A Spot of Baking and a Plea for Help (!)

So I kinda made another cowl.....




It's the same cowl in all the pictures, the light must be weird in my house! It's using the wool I bought on honeymoon in Austria it's a beautiful soft mix with a lovely sheen to it. I can't wait to wear it in the Autumn :) It's just treble crochet, with a 5mm hook, quite a tight stitch. 

I've also been baking, I found this wonderful recipe on Regina's lovely blog 'My Simple Life' (here). It's for a Zwetschgenkuchen, which is a cake with fresh fruit. Really scrummy, I ate a lot of it during my time in Germany (cake is a major part of my love of Germany!) I was so pleased with how it turned out, it was so easy and so tasty. C liked it too, there's not a lot left. I used peaches this time, but will definitely use plums next time... 





Otherwise I haven't been terribly productive, I'm still ploughing away with the blanket, more photos soon :)

I have a question to ask all you wonderful experienced crocheters who pop in here - a bit of a plea for help! Does anyone have an easy, quick shawl pattern that they would recommend? I'm off to a wedding in two weeks and need something to pop over my shoulders. I was thinking maybe a simple V Stitch or granny type pattern, but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations :) I bought some lovely soft DK yarn, an acrylic/nylon mix all ready and will try and start crocheting before too long. any suggestions?!


10 comments:

  1. I really like the nordic shawl pattern from MyRoseValley! You would need a lot of colours though. Also, the patterns at Garnstufio from Drops Yarns are devine!
    Take care
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes the Nordic Shawl is definitely on my to-do list!! The Drops Yarns patterns were lovely, although have gone for super simple, but thanks for the tip I've now found lots of more wonderful things I want to crochet :)

      Delete
  2. dear helen,
    your shawl looks wonderful.Thanks for the kind words about my cake.It's really a pleasure for me that you and your husband liked the cake.
    Have a nice week my friend,
    Hugs Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regina :) it was so popular I've just bought some plums for the next one thanks for sharing the amazing recipe! Have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  3. The cake sounds divine, Regina I'm popping over to yours next lol. I have never made a shawl so I don't feel able to recommend a pattern, though I do know Ravelry has a big selection and a search there would point you in the right direction. The crochet V stitch is so simple and yet so pretty and a shawl is simply a triangle isn't it? Maybe you don't even need a pattern, just a thought.
    The washed out colours on your pics, it is to do with light levels, just choose your brightest spot possible in or out of the house. You could also try turning off the flash on your camera, I never use a flash now and my photo's are much better as regards showing the true colours of the yarn I am using.
    Have a good week Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the photo tips Linda - will definitely try out the no flash next time :) You're very right with the V-Stitch, that's what I've gone with it's so simple and satisfying :) Hope your top's coming on nicely :) xx

      Delete
  4. Nice cowl. I think the first pic shows the original color or close to it, am I right? The fruit cake looks divine. You can try Ravelry for the shawl pattern though I don't have any particular one to recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pradeepa! You're spot on with the colour, that pic is the most accurate :)

      Delete
  5. Possibly a bit late, but have you looked at this pattern, it is gorgeous and is one that I would love to make when I have a few things finished! I hope that you find something suitable. http://sandra-cherryheart.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/ricicles-shawl.html Love the cowl!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip that pattern is so so beautoful! I'm going to make that as an xmas pressie I've decided, thanks for sharing Amy! I've gone with something a bit more simple due to time constraints but that's on the to do list :) xx

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)