Saturday 4 February 2017

The Year in Books - January 2017


This post should really be called 'The month I finally finished Wolf Hall'. Because I finally did!!! This has been the longest it has taken me to finish a book in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed reading it. I just haven't had much time to read, and it's not the easiest book to just pick up and put down. This book is so famous I'm sure it needs no introduction, following the rise of Thomas Cromwell who became Henry VIII's right hand man during the English reformation. Whilst as a good history student I know the basic history of the Tudors (and always found it fascinating) I learnt so much from this book and really enjoyed reading the back story of the son of a blacksmith who became arguably the most powerful man in England. The dilemma now is do I launch into the sequel 'Bring up the Bodies' whilst it's all fresh in my head or do I have a break and read some other books...


After the Wolf Hall marathon I did manage to make my way through 'The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy' by Rachel Joyce. I really enjoyed 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' and it was a beautiful companion novel - offering a deeper insight into the woman Harold walks across England to see one last time, Queenie Hennessy. I'd highly recommend both books :)

For February I'm not sure what I will read, there are a fair few books on my kindle to get through. My book group will be reading 'The Household Spirit' by Tod Wodicka - here - so at the very least I hope to read that!

As always, joining in with Laura at Circle of Pine Trees.


2 comments:

  1. 'Wolf Hall' would be even more of a marathon read for me! I'm still trying to get back to reading and I'm aiming to read one book a month this year. It's going well, so far. Whatever book you choose for this month I hope you really enjoy reading it! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not fond of historic novels so have never tried this one. I did love the story about Harold Fry but didn't like Joyce's next book, Perfect. Now I am in two minds about reading another one. I would rather like to find out who Queenie really was. Enjoy your February reading. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)