Tuesday 20 October 2015

Giant Granny Square Blanket


I finished my scrappy Aran giant granny square blanket! Although I nearly gave up photographing it earlier as the light was really rather awful and doesn't do it justice at all. This was a comfort project, which I picked up at intervals towards the end of writing the thesis. I used almost entirely yarn from my stash of all different brands, and the colours were chosen randomly and based on whether I thought I would get an entire round - I always lose at yarn chicken!


Here is a close-up which does it marginally more justice. It's surprisingly warm and has already featured in slobbing out sessions in front of Netflix.


I kept the border simple, two rounds of single crochet in the colours I had the most wool left in. I always tend to err on the side of simple with borders - I think by the end point I just want it to be over!


Again, awful lighting (our sofa is a nice deep purple not grey) but here it is laid out inside. I'm really mean and keep the cats off it so I don't have it out during the day - our cats seem to catch everything they possibly can with their claws (including several favourite jumpers) and also shed a ridiculous amount, and I have been rather precious with finished crochet items. Am I being really mean? Other people post pictures of cats and crochet, maybe I should overcome my inner aversion!

Thanks for all the lovely comments on my last post, we are setting the ball in motion, or trying to so watch this space!

11 comments:

  1. I love it & I've never heard of yarn chicken before though I fear I will be playing it soon. Rocky hound enjoys snoozing on my crochet blankets even though he arrived with his own xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of yarn chicken before but have just realised I do it all the time and often lose! Your blanket is lovely and reminds me of one my Mum's I used to cosy up with as a child. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has turned out really well. I like to have a comfort project on the go and am tempted now to start one of these big squares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blanket looks great. It must be really warm and cosy with all that Aran yarn from your stash. Love the colours too, and I think keeping the borders simple makes the rest of the blanket really stand out. If we have a cat or any pet, I'd be quite precious too with all my finished makes. Use and the inevitable abuse with two young children is enough, a pet would be too much! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous blanket!!! I love the colours that you played yarn chicken with! I am rather precious about my crocheted items too, and I don't have a cat to worry about! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a wonderful blanket Helen.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gorgeous blanket Helen, yes I can imagine that keeps you very snuggly and warm when watching the TV at night. Good luck with your viva!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, looks so cosy! : ) Cats just love warm items, I can't keep mine off my wool... luckily they're both delicate enough with blankets and such, not as much with sweaters though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful blanket - just right for this time of the year!

    Take care
    Anne
    Crochet Between Worlds

    P.S. We nominated you for the Sunshine Award on our blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely - a blanket that brought you comfort when your were writing your thesis, and which will keep you warm this winter. Sometimes you just can't beat a simple granny square blanket. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blanket! Looks perfect for snuggling under while watching a movie. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)