Monday 6 April 2015

The Year in Books - April


This month I read Louise Doughty's 'Apple Tree Yard'. Well, read might be a bit too loose a term, a better word is probably 'inhaled' - it's quite a page turner! This book was a slightly different choice for me, I don't read many thrillers, but it has made me want to expand my reading areas as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The plot centres around Dr Yvonne Carmichael, an eminent geneticist, whose unplanned and sporadic affair with a mysterious stranger ends with her sitting in the docks at the Old Bailey. The novel jumps around in time, revealing different aspects of Yvonne's life gradually, and tantalisingly, leaving you wanting to know more. I quite liked her as a character, and the book posed a lot of 'what ifs', which I always enjoy. There weren't many sudden surprises, as the book revealed everything as it went along which is what made it so gripping I guess. All in all a great read.

Next month I'm going to read 'Suite Francaise' by Irene Nemirovsky - I read it as an undergraduate a long time ago and want to reread it before going to watch the film adaptation which is either coming out soon or already out. 

Linking with Laura at Circle of Pines, pop over to see what everyone else has on their bookshelves! 




9 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed, hope you do enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thrillers! I've just finished "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and "Elizabeth is Missing". Both incredible interesting and good books. Will write about them in my next "the year in books" but if you're looking for pageturners, written in a style that you have never encountered before - these books are the one I would recommend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Helen, and thanks for visiting my blog. I have seen several bloggers reading, or planning to read, Suite Francaise, so I am going to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read 'Apple Tree Yard' as a break from my usual reading, since I don't read thrillers as a rule. But this, as you said, was a real page turner and so I have begun to read more of this genre, only a few so far but none held my attention quite like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just been writing about Suite Francaise for a website I write for, so I really should add it to my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd really like to read "Suite Francaise", looking forward to read your thoughts about it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two great book ideas, thank you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard several people talking about this book recently, and all very positively. I may well have to add this to my bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apple Tree Yard sounds good although I don't usually go for thrillers! And I've never heard of the other one, so I've put it on my reading list. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)