Sunday 14 December 2014

Christmas Card Swap and a Lovely Weekend




About a month ago Amy amazingly organised a Christmas card swap, which I signed up for straightaway! I was delighted to be paired with the lovely Lil who has a really gorgeous blog you should definitely visit, House With Hearts. Above you can see the wonderful card I received from Lil, who is very talented. Isn't it gorgeous! The snowman is so cool, and I love the ribbon and button detail, Lil said she didn't have a crochet pattern for the snowman but made it up so I am in absolute awe! I'm going to work out a way to frame him so he becomes a permanent part of our decorations :)

Thank you Lil, I love him!!

This weekend my lovely Mother-in-Law came to visit and we had a wonderful relaxing weekend. Last night we watched a film, she knitted, I crocheted, we both nattered and C played football manager... all happy campers! Today we went on a little outing to a National Trust property in nearby Northamptonshire, Lyveden New Bield. It's an unfinished Elizabethan garden lodge, built by Sir Thomas Tresham who as a Catholic was under close surveillance in Elizabethan times, fined for his faith and often imprisoned. He died heavily in debt and when he died the workmen working on the lodge simply downed their tools and left. It's in a really isolated spot and remained pretty much untouched until the National Trust took it over in the 1920s. I just wanted to share some pictures with you as it is quite simply stunning.







The graffiti you can see was left from the eighteenth century onwards, which I think is wonderful!

In other news this week... I made some mince pies (made me very popular)


I also made another flannel, these two are for my mother-in-law and sister-in-law for Christmas, I bought some nice handmade soap to go with them



And I've got some more Christmas makes finished, more on that in another post :)

Thank you for all of the lovely comments on my first 'Five on Friday' post, it was wonderful writing it and wonderful reading the comments. Have a lovely week whereever you may be :)

Until next time

Helen

14 comments:

  1. Love the card you received Helen, such a treat and that snowman is delightful. I love your visit to that incredible property, can you imagine if it had been completed?
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's mind boggling! it would have been a stunner, but then maybe not so well preserved :S

      Delete
  2. Great card, the snowman is really cute! And that building is amazing, I never heard about it, it's so fascinating - so thanks a lot for sharing! : )
    Wish you a lovely week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the card is a success :-) xx I love the look of that Lodge - I always think it such a shame when such beautiful architecture remains incomplete or beautiful period properties are damaged by fire etc and never repaired. You'll be very popular with the handmade flannels on Christmas Day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the card Lil. it's still pride of place :) xx

      Delete
  4. dear helen,
    love the card , the crochet snowman is sooooooooooooooooooooo sweet!! i have never made mince pies......
    what a lovely gift...love the handmade flannels.
    thanks for sharing!!!!
    have a wonderful week,
    love and hugs regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regina :) Have a lovely week yourself and merry xmas! xx

      Delete
  5. It looks as if your preparations for Christmas are going well! I love your pictures of the NT house, it must have been a wonderful house in its heyday. Lovely card that you received! Glad that you enjoyed the swap! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks for organising it again :) hope all's well xx

      Delete
  6. How lovely to receive a hand made card, very touching and it will be lovely to frame it as a permanent keepsake. Those mince pies look delicious,mince pies are one of my favourite Christmas foods. Great photo's on your house visit too.

    I think it's great that you had a cosy knit-in evening too and well done on your Christmas make to do list.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That unfinished garden lodge is incredible, what a fascinating place. I bet it could feel quite spooky there at dusk. The mince pies look totally delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian! Yes I bet it's wonderful in the mist as well :) x

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)