Monday 10 November 2014

The One with a Chocolate Fish: York

Hello everybody, I hope you are all well wherever you may be. Today I would like to share a lovely weekend spent in York with hubbie, and our two old neighbours who we lived next to in Nottingham.

Now I'm sure that the vast majority of the world (at least 99.9999999%) associate the wonderful city of York with the magnificent Minster, the narrow cobbled shopping streets of the Shambles or maybe even the stunning city walls. Or the poor unfortunate monarch Richard III and the vast history of unrest and civil war in medieval England.

For me however, York is the city of chocolate fish.....




 Nearly five years ago C and I went to York for a day trip and he bought me a chocolate fish, it was one of the first things he bought me at the beginning of our relationship (ever the romantic ;)) Ever since then we've wanted to head back to York as it was so wonderful, and I always said he would have to recreate the Chocolate Fish Moment - he did! (I got some pretty weird looks while I took those photos)

The Saturday was pretty miserable, grey skies and lots of rain but it didn't stop us admiring the Minster and partaking of the Shambles....







The shot of the Shambles was right outside a lovely wool shop which of course I had to stick my head into. I may have come out with a ball of wool.... more on that in the future as I intend to make it into a York souvenir!

The next day was a complete contrast, blue skies and a crisp Autumn morning, we seized the opportunity and wandered the walls, looking over at the Minster in the hazy sunshine as we walked between two of the historic gates.






 And then we headed to another highlight of York - The National Railway Museum. Now I like a nice train journey, but I'm not particularly into 'trainy things' - I loved the experience nevertheless! I found myself being quite nostalgic about an era that I never experienced. The exhibition was very well done, you could wander around these huge majestic trains which were contextualised with artefacts from different eras. I loved the old railway posters especially, icons of a time gone by...







Isn't it interesting that even back then they used images of women on the beach to lure people to the seaside?! A slightly more modest image than nowadays I do concede :)

All in all a wonderful weekend. Thank you for all your lovely comments on the last post, I really was very touched. My Nana is starting to pick up a bit now, they are looking at getting her back on the rehabilitation wagon, so we will just have to see. And as for the PhD thesis.... still a big stone around my neck but I'm still swimming ;)

I've started making a Christmas garland for my parents, our theme is always red and green...


 They need blocking, but it will be a lovely star garland. I got the pattern from here, it's so quick and very effective :)

Have  a lovely week, a very hearty welcome to my new readers and a big hello to the usual crowd!

Until Next Time,

Helen x





17 comments:

  1. Hi Helen, lucky you going to York, it's beautiful. The last time I went (years ago) was to a wedding party at the museum! It was fab! Looking forward to your York Yarn reveal :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I bet a wedding party was amazing there! It is such a lovely city :) x

      Delete
  2. Helen, thank you for taking us along. I have never been to York, and possibly might never visit so I especially loved seeing it.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're oh so very welcome :) If you're ever on this side of the pond I'd really recommend York as a stopping point :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear that your Nana is doing better, I hope that she goes from strength to strength. I love the railway posters, it is always nice to see them isn't it. So, that chocolate fish.... I hope you put it out of its misery after the photo shoot and ate it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! The railway posters are so stunning, I was cursing our lack of wall space as I could have bought loads. The chocolate fish didn't survive too long it is safe to say ;) xx

      Delete
  4. Seems a great week end Helen! Phd thesis is a great stone around the neck, I know, but don't give up ::: after that you can swim free again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement :) I hope it will be a smaller stone soon :)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful visit, thanks for sharing your pics with us all, and thanks for the pattern's link, too! : )
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen, lovely pictures of York and your romantic chocolate fish purchase.
    Funny isn't it about the Railway museum-it really is a wonderful experience even for non train spotters (like me).
    Very pretty stars in your garland.
    Have a lovely week-stay warm-brrr today here in wales
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! I'm also a non train spotter who thoroughly enjoyed it :) It's very cold here too this week, hope you're keeping warm over in lovely Wales :)

      Delete
  7. I love walking the wall in York! Never been to the railway museum though even though I live so close. Your chocolate fish pictures are hilarious! My husband is always telling me I look like a div when I stop to take random pictures like that. I suppose I must look a bit daft holding random things up 'to get a nice background'. I guess passers by don't realise it's a blogging thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I'm glad I'm not the only person who does things like that! My husband rolled his eyes a LOT during our trip! I'd really recommend the railway museum, it's really interesting :)

      Delete
  8. Great pictures, Its been a long time since I went to York. Looks like you had a fab trip. The christmas garland looks like it will be really pretty and festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) York is really very lovely. Hope all is going well with the move :)

      Delete
  9. This place is really looking wonderful, thanks for sharing about it here. I am planning to throw a party at a spacious place like this and it will be great if you can help me with your suggestions about venues for events.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)