Thursday 17 July 2014

This and That

Time is just flying by at the moment, I can't decide if it's a good thing as it means all the lovely things that are planned are coming soon, or if it's a bad thing as they will be over! I will go with the former, I need to be more optimistic :)

I've been in Berlin for a week and a half now, it has been very productive work-wise which is a relief. I'm scouring through lots of relevant material and I've also started writing my final chapter, a minor miracle really given the sunny weather that has erupted over the city this week.

C is coming tomorrow, I'm so excited! I'm going to pick him up from the airport, I love meeting people at airports/being met, it's such a happy time. Always makes me think of Love Actually...

I thought I'd just share a few snap shots of my week, which are a bit random. I'm going to adopt tourist stance once C is here and snap away like a crazy woman on my camera rather than my phone. Did I mention that I was excited?!


On Saturday I *accidentally* came across some crafty shops on the way to the library. It seems quite common here to sell wool and knitting/crochet goodies alongside sewing machines, material, and embroidery stuff. I like it! Cotton seems very cheap, these balls were all €1.95, and the bamboo is so so soft. I am thinking flannels. These will be hidden in my work bag while C is here ;) I picked up the hook as I don't have a 4mm with me and that's what the cotton needs. woops!


An old friend happened to be in Berlin this week for a conference and I've had a lovely time catching up with him. I took him to my favourite German restaurant (here) and we had a yummy dinner followed by Apfelstrudel. Yum. yum. yum.


Journals journals journals.... That is my week in the library. I found this advert for volunteering for the military in a journal from 1956. I'm studying representations of the military, and it was really rather nice to have a picture to look at for once (my brain is melting).


A friend for Bonnie to satisfy camper withdrawal! This must belong to a small brewery or something I think.


This is a statue of Käthe Kollwitz, who was a famous anti-war artist, she died just days before German capitulation in 1945. She lost her son in WWI and grandson in WWII, and painted and sculpted some really moving work. The square near where I am staying is named after her, she lived here 1871-1943. 


 The building where I stay has a garden out the front, I think the residents join together to look after it, it always makes me smile when I get in after a long day.




Some crocheting has also been happening, for some reason lots of grey! Using some of the cotton I bought I made a dischcloth (part of my plan to infiltrate every room with crochet) and then I'm making a cowl for my Mum with some wool we picked up together a while ago. Did I mention I have a stash at home and at my parents?! Bad Helen.

Wishing you all a happy, hopefully sunny weekend whereever you are!

10 comments:

  1. Grâce à vous, je voyage un peu moi aussi. Your dessert looks yummy!
    Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucie, I love your travel pics it really makes me want to come to Canada :) hope you're well :) x

      Delete
  2. I love Schachenmayr Yarn! They're reather cheap and the quality is right! I've started a crocheted sweatshirt last weekend with Schachenmayr Cotton (Catania). You have to try it! The colors are wonderful! I wish I could buy new yarn myself...but I promised my man (starts with C as well, what a coincidence!) to use up ALL of the yarn that is lying around in our tiny flat. Got a lot of work to do with that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh looking forward to seeing the sweater! I've always wanted to crochet clothing :) I love this yarn so much I just want to buy heaps to take back to ENgland! I've also promised my C to use up allthe yarn in the house..... Going to have to become an expert at hiding it!!! :)

      Delete
  3. I hope that you have a great time with C and enjoy a little sightseeing. The strudel looks delicious!!! Hope that your ankle is fully recovered now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! The Strudel was heavenly mmmm :) Ankle is getting better thanks v much :) xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Helen, enjoy the tourist part of your trip with C, I look forward to more pictures. The cotton yarn you've bought looks fab and wow such a great price too, lucky you.
    I have a beautiful weekend off work, I am off to the cinema tomorrow with my big sister :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that sounds lovely, I hope you had a lovely time and saw a good film :) xx

      Delete
  5. hello helen,
    what a great bargain....love the bamboo wool. love your dishcloth!!Der Apfelstrudel sieht lecker aus. thanks for the wonderful photos and stories. berlin is really wonderful,for many years have i visited berlin.
    have a nice time with C,
    love Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Regina :) Isn't it a wonderful city! And I have fallen in love with German yarn as well :) Wish I had more room in the suitcase.... LG :) x

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)