Friday 25 July 2014

Summer in the City

Hello all and happy Friday :)

It's raining again here in Berlin but this time I am happy, we had a week of scorching hot weather and I thought I was going to melt! Being in a dingy archive in a small room on the fourth floor with no windows nearly got the better of me on Tuesday... Now it's cooler and I no longer resemble a sweaty tomato ;)

I had a wonderful time with C, thanks for all your wishes. It was very hot so we did, well, not a lot to be honest! And it was bliss, just what we needed. We've been married two months now, and a sizeable chunk of that has been apart - I'm looking forward to heading back to Blighty now :)

As we didn't become the wonder tourists my camera didn't see much action, I thought I'd share some snippets with you though...

When he got here we pretty much spent the whole afternoon in a beer garden...



 I love German beer. As does C - you can see he doesn't want to let go! It was the perfect afternoon, we drank, chilled and caught up properly :)

We wandered on Satrurday aimlessly, it's really nice being able to do that. We walked to the center from my flat and found our usual landmarks.


This is the famous Fernsehturm (television tower) along with the spire of the Marienkirche on Alexanderplatz. I always love the view of the two towers.



 Here we are in the Nikolaiviertel, (Nicholas Quarter) which is the oldest part of the city. What you see there today is however buildings which have been heavily restored, by the former GDR government in the late 1980s. THe inside of the cathedral is fascinating as it is more of a museum than a church but they have painstakingly research the paint colours etc etc. It's one of the things I love about Berlin, it's an onion with so many layers of history... (you can read about the quarter more here)


 This is the Berlin Cathedral (Berliner Dom) which is probably one of my favourite cathedrals in the world. I just love it for some reason. It was badly damaged during the war, with restoration starting in 1975.




 The last snaps are just wandering around. Berlin is quite famous for its graffiti, and I just liked the top one (rough translation: Money is the worst curse of mankind, quite apt I feel - as you can see it's Sophocoles).

The next day we had brunch at my favourite place, Szimpla, a Hungarian cafe, which is on Boxhagener Platz in Friedrichshain, there's a flea market there as well so we indulged ourselves at that. After a massive brunch and in the heat I was too hot to take pictures sadly!





Then we just chilled until C left on Monday. It was really lovely.... and really sad to see him go. I've been emersing myself in PhD work ever since, apart from last night and the night before when I hit the town with some friends. I love this city! I was going to add some crafty activity as well, but I shall save that for another day. I found another wool shop up the road with the most gorgeous cotton blend that is on sale and I have been fighting myself not to buy any. Will I stay strong? Watch this space....


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Berlin and I loved all the photos! The beer looks so good! Take care and congrats on being married 2 months!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie :) Hope all's well with you!

      Delete
  2. It's nice to see that you're having fun! I've been to Berlin once, a few years ago. I celebrated my 18th birthday there, so the memories are a little blur! ;) But it's a very interesting and exciting city and I definitely want to visit it again!
    And there's a wonderful Szimpla Bar in Budapest. It's probably the coolest bar I've ever been in. I think it's the "original" Szimpla bar, they opened up the one in Berlin after the one in Budapest. If you're ever in Budapest (beautiful city by the way, really similar to Vienna!) you have to go there. Crazy place! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I bet it's related somehow, there's a bigger Szimpla bar in Berlin as well which is a music venue, also cool! I've been to Budapest but on a conference, I really wanna go back and take it all in properly it looks amazing :) Hehe you should definitely come to Berlin! You could have a travel series of 'North (ish?)' German cities?! :)

      Delete
    2. That would be a great idea! But I'm travelling to Italy and London later this year and then there are no more holidays left that I can take from work. And the money will be gone also! ;)

      Delete
    3. Wow that sounds amazing :) Hehe maybe next year ;) I always want to go to so many places but time and money get in the way, it's hard to choose sometimes :)

      Delete
  3. Glad to know that you had a great time with your husband. I hope that the rest of your stay and the work goes well, and that you don't get too hot stuck in your archive room! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It looks to remain a bit cooler thank goodness, really not a heat person :S xx

      Delete
  4. Helen I am so glad you no longer resemble a sweaty tomato (lol), thanks for your kind words on my last blog post. This sounds like my kind of holiday, sometimes you just want to slow things right down and chill out. Great pictures and thanks for sharing them all :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)