Wednesday 9 April 2014

Flowers, flowers, flowers

Once again I've hit a bit of a busy patch... not as much time for crafting as I'd like sadly. I've been crocheting lots of little flowers for the table place cards at the wedding, only another 40 or so to go (!) I know they'll look lovely when they're done, but I'd much rather be crocheting blanket squares, or cowls, or Easter goodies! The sight of all the ends that need sewing in does not fill me with joy I have to confess.



I will be attaching them to some thick brown card and then my lovely bridesmaid who has neat hand writing will write the names! I'm toying with the idea of adding buttons to the centre, but it might depend on time by the time I'm done. We're trying to make the wedding as personal as possible, so an element of my new found crochet obsession only seemed right!! 

I also realised that I hadn't used the half treble stitch, so I'm trying a swatch in some cheap wool from Wilkos. When crocheting in rows I still seem to be inconsistent with crocheting through front, back or both loops, so I'm just going to practice until it comes right. No idea what will become of this, it's an odd width! I was thinking maybe a simple little purse (I need a new make-up wallet) or maybe something else... watch this space!


Helen xx

6 comments:

  1. hi Helen, thanks for visiting my blog today, the place cards will be lovely and personal for your wedding, what a great idea. With crochet you are always learning, that is what makes it so addictive I think. The Wilko's wool is pretty even if it was a bargain on cost, I'm sure your practice piece will become something lovely for you. I have started making motifs for a maybe summer top, not sure yet, to be honest. Crochet time is precious and there's never enough lol. Take care x

    linda-dawn-designs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for popping by Linda, your flowers are lovely!! Hope you find something nice to do with them :) The wilkos piece is getting bigger, I'm defintieyl thinking a little purse type thing at the moment! xx

      Delete
  2. Could you use the ends to sew on the button middles and them to the place cards, it would save sewing them in and you will need a thread to sew on the buttons and to the cards in any case and it isn't as though it is something that will get a lot of wear where the ends could come undone easily? Just a thought as I am always trying to find ways to not have to sew ends in as I hate that job!!! The flowers look lovely and will make great touches to your placecards though! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a really good idea Amy!! i will have to play around with it, if I can avoid the end sewing I will be a happy person indeed! xx

      Delete
  3. I think these will make such lovely place cards for the wedding, really personal. I dislike sewing ends in too I try to sew as I go but I just can never be bothered and always leave to the end and then regret doing exactly that,
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marianne :) It's always so hard to sew as you go isn't it?! crocheting is so relaxing and enjoyable and the sewing in, well, not so much! xx

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)