Sunday 11 September 2016

Beautiful Venice

Last weekend I went to Venice with one of my best friends. We were celebrating a special birthday she had this week and decided a girly weekend away in a beautiful place was an excellent way to start. I love Venice. There's no other way to put it - I just fell hook line and sinker for the place. It's so pretty and just steeped with history.

On our first day we headed off on the boats to the islands North of the main section of Venice, which is of course made up of lots of little islands itself. We took a 'water bus' and headed off nice and early, taking in the views and lots of nods to Venice's maritime history.


Murano was stunning. Famous of course for its glass blowing, and we spent a very enjoyable few hours wandering along the water perusing the many many glass shops.



After Murano we popped over to Torcello, a tiny historical island with a really pretty church at the centre.

 Then there was Burano, one of the prettiest places I've been - brightly coloured houses along the water front and lots of beautiful views.


We also took a water bus along the Grand Canal, admiring the Rialto bridge, stunning buildings and lots of gondolas. We did not take a gondola ride - £80 for half an hour!!!!


The next day we went to St Mark's Square, approaching it in a water bus was quite incredible. Again, the history was just amazing, but we didn't go into the main buildings, it was pretty busy and it was so nice outside I didn't want to queue. The bridge of Sighs was beautiful. 




And the rest of the time we just meandered, popping in and out of shops and just enjoying the views.


On our last day we went to the ghetto. A completely different entrance to the other little islands, and a very sombre feel to the main square, dominated by a memorial to those killed in the Holocaust.


I feel so lucky to have had such a wonderful weekend in such a beautiful city - and lucky to have such amazing friends and people in my life.

6 comments:

  1. Good friends are the best and to spend such a special weekend with one is even better. I loved your photos.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to Venice only once and loved it. I have always meant to go back to see all the places we missed. I agree about the gondolas. We stood and gawked at the price list and converted them into "our money" and kept thinking we must have made a mistake. There were lots of empty gondolas. They could have been earning money if the prices had been more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place to spend a weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a great time! I visited Venezia (oops, Venice, lol!) some years ago on a two-days trip and I absolutely loved it, too. It has some kind of special atmosphere, I'd love to return there someday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Venice, too. I haven't been there since I was a teenager but still remember it vividly. Good friends are just the best! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must have been a very nice weekend! Beautiful place ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading your comments :)